Clapper's Building Materials, Inc. was founded in 1925 by Carl R. Clapper, the great grandfather of the current owners David and Jon Clapper. Originally named Meyersdale Concrete Product Works, the business operated out of Carl R. Clapper's horse stable manufacturing concrete piping. Carl's son, Robert, soon began work there after he returned from W.W.II and the business expanded to supplying all building materials and appliances including a fully stocked lumberyard.
In 1953, Clapper's expanded to a second location in Rockwood, PA. Though much smaller than its parent store, the Rockwood branch offered a comparable selection of homecenter items and lumber. David joined the company in 1967 after attending Bridgewater College. Jon added his business expertise in 1974, returning from a four year stint with a CPA firm in Pittsburgh.
A photo of Clapper's concrete block plant in 1942.
Over its 72-year history, the business has expanded from a horse stable to more than 150,000 square feet in two locations powered by 28 employees. David acts as President while Jon is the Secretary and Treasurer.